CREATE “REEL” CHANGE TO END HOMELESSNESS!
As part of Homeless Action Week 2013, the City of Vancouver has joined with Reel Causes (collectively, the “Sponsors”) to hold a short video contest for amateur and professional film makers to raise awareness about, promote dialogue around, and inspire action for change on homelessness issues and solutions. Winners will be honoured at a gala film evening and panel discussion in mid-March 14, 2014 and their videos will be screened as part of the event.
About Homelessness Action Week:
Homelessness Action Week (HAW) is an annual regional campaign across Metro Vancouver aimed at raising awareness about and building community capacity and partnerships for local solutions to homelessness. In the City of Vancouver, a number of events and activities take place during HAW to advance the objectives of the City’s Housing and Homelessness Strategy and Healthy City Strategy in promoting social, economic, and environmental sustainability. Homelessness Action Week 2013 takes place from October 13th to 19th, 2013.
About Reel Causes:
Reel Causes is a BC registered non-profit society that uses the power of film to support Canadian charities working to address pressing social justice, environmental and health-related issues. Reel Causes organizes and hosts monthly film screenings that highlight these issues and provide a platform for organizations to educate, engage and inspire the public about their work and causes.
The Video Competition:
Your submission can be video or animation and must:
• Not be more than 3 minutes in total length
• Be suitable for public display (PG rating)
• Be appropriate in nature (i.e. not defamatory, obscene or otherwise illegal)
• Be accurate in content • Not be in violation of copyright law (all material must be your original work)
• Be non-commercial in nature and not created to promote an individual or organization
• Comply with the Contest Official Rules (below)
A panel of judges will pre-screen submitted videos and select ones to be entered into the online competition according to the following criteria:
• Accuracy of content
Videos that qualify for the online competition must include Reel Causes frames and City of Vancouver logo (“Sponsor’s Intellectual Property”) at start and end (will be provided by Reel Causes and City of Vancouver). All rights in and to the Sponsor’s Intellectual Property (including without limitation, trademark, official mark, and copyright) are reserved and no right, title or interest is acquired by an entrant (“Entrant”) in or to the Sponsor’s Intellectual Property except for a limited revocable licence to use same for the limited purpose of this competition.
2013-14 Competition Time Line and Key Dates:
1. January 31, 2014 11:59 pm PST: Deadline – submission of videos
2. February 10 – March 10, 2014: Qualifying videos posted on Reel Causes’ YouTube channel
5. Mid-March, 2014: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners selected and notified
6. March 22, 2014: Gala Screening and Awards Night
Contest Official Rules:
a) Reel Causes’ Video Competition (“Competition”) is open to all Canadians or persons living in Canada except employees of or contractors for Reel Causes and City of Vancouver, their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and their family/household members (defined as parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents).
b) If a video is submitted by a team, at least one person must be Canadian or living in Canada and have been significantly involved in the creation of the video. This Competition is intended for viewing to as wide an audience as possible including Canadian and international audiences and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of British Columbia. All federal, provincial and local laws and regulations apply.
2. HOW TO ENTER:
a) To enter the Competition, please complete the Application Form and email it along with your video to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31, 2014.
b) We will send you a link to a Dropbox folder where you can upload and submit your video (the “Video”).
c) Videos must be submitted between October 17, 2013 and January 31, 2014, 11:59 pm PST.
d) Qualifying Videos will be downloaded to the Reel Causes’ YouTube channel for public viewing from February 10 to March 10, 2014.
e) By submitting a Video, entrants (“Entrant”) now agree their Video (expressly excluding the Sponsor’s Intellectual Property and containing express reference to the Sponsor’s Intellectual Property as being owned exclusively by the Sponsors) is unconditionally and irrevocably granted to the Sponsors under a Creative Commons license: (Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada). Information at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ca/.
f) By submitting a Video, entrant represents and warrants that the Video is the entrant’s own creation and is 100% original work; is not subject to, and does not infringe upon, the rights of any third parties, including without limitation privacy or publicity rights; and is not defamatory, obscene or otherwise illegal. The Entrant further represents and warrants that any person whose image is identifiable in the entered video has signed a release or permission sufficient to enable the Entrant to grant the Sponsors the rights in the video granted in these Official Rules. Entrant will furnish Sponsors with a copy of such release or permission upon request; failure to do so by a winning Entrant may result in disqualification and selection of another winner in his/her place.
g) Entrants not complying with these requirements will be subject to disqualification. All Entrants must have a valid email address. In case of dispute as to identity of Entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the legal person or entity who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsors, and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, website, Internet, or ISP unavailability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter this Competition, including any injury or damage to Entrant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Competition or downloading any materials in this Competition. Receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned.
h) Entrants agree to release Reel Causes and the City of Vancouver and their respective employees and other agents (collectively, the “Sponsors”) from any and all liability of any kind and to reimburse the Sponsors for any and all losses or damages incurred by the Sponsors as a result of any breach by the Entrant of these Official Rules or the Creative Commons licence by the Entrant. In the event that YouTube or any other entity compensates the Sponsors or any other financial benefits accrue to the Sponsors arising from the Video, the Sponsors agree to account for and pay such benefits to a charity (mutually agreed upon by Reel Causes and the City of Vancouver) which has an express purpose of addressing homelessness in Vancouver. All other compensation or benefits accruing to anyone from the Video may be retained by the Entrant.
3. JUDGING/SELECTION OF WINNERS:
a) All submitted Videos will be pre-screened and pre-judged by Organizers for creativity, appropriateness and accuracy of content between February 1 and February 9, 2014.
b) Qualifying Videos will be posted on Reel Causes’ youtube channel between February 10 – March 10, 2014.
c) First, second and third place winners will be selected based on:
i. Number of YouTube hits on the video
ii. Impact in the community (i.e. if the video attracted media attention or inspired action from the public, etc.)
4. AWARDS: Organizers have the right to include additional awards as offered by sponsors.
5. RIGHTS IN ENTRIES: By submitting an original video and entering the Competition, Entrant agrees to a Creative Commons license (Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada). The Sponsors have the right in perpetuity to publish the Entrant’s Video in any way for any and all non-commercial purposes, including but not limited to education, advertisements, publicity and/or marketing in any and all media worldwide without further compensation to or permission from Entrant (except where prohibited by law), and with credit to Entrant, at Sponsor’s discretion.
6. GENERAL: Acceptance of an award constitutes permission by winner to use of his/her name, photograph and/or likeness for advertising, publicity and promotion purposes without compensation (unless prohibited by law). Sponsors are not responsible for incomplete, late, lost, stolen, damaged, mutilated, illegible, postage-due or misdirected entries. By participating in this Competition, Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and agree to release and hold harmless Sponsors and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotions agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, councilors, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, or participation in Competition, or participation in any Competition-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. CAUTION: Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted.
7. Names of winners will be announced in Vancouver in mid-March, 2014 at the Screening Gala. The winners’ names will also be posted at www.reelcauses.org and on the City of Vancouver website on or about mid-March, 2014.
8. Sponsors reserve the right to cancel or modify this Competition in the event that an insufficient number of entries are received that meet the minimum judging criteria. Sponsors also reserve the right not to award prizes if the submitted entries are not appropriate or accurate and/or are not of sufficient quality.