Board of Directors Application
We are happy to receive applications from anyone who is interested in a board position and will consider you for future positions. We encourage applications from people from marginalized backgrounds to ensure that our board represents the diverse communities that we seek to serve.
Reel Causes is an equal opportunity organization that strongly believes in inclusion and diversity, and strives to expand its profile in this area. Indigenous, people of colour, and people across the spectrums of gender, sexuality, age and abilities are encouraged to apply.
The Organization: Reel Causes is a Vancouver-based non-profit that partners with filmmakers and Canadian causes dedicated to addressing global social justice issues.
We host five events a year: film screenings followed by Q&A sessions to educate and inspire our community, providing a forum for authentic conversation around the issues that affect us locally.
For information on Reel Causes, please read more here.
Purpose: As a volunteer Director of the Board, you provide oversight of Reel Causes programs and finances, foresight in setting strategy and direction, and insight on how best the organization can serve our diverse community. You are ready to serve a two-year appointment.
- Actively participate in monthly board meetings (typically 2.5 hours).
- Prepare for each meeting by reviewing monthly reports, financials, minutes and any other provided pre-reading.
- Be familiar with Reel Causes’ in-person and digital events.
- Join at least two committees (at least one of which is a standing committee) and contribute to the work being done on them. Committees typically meet for an hour every two months, with the expectation that some work is completed outside of this time.
- Attend Reel Causes events and occasionally volunteer at partner events.
- Actively participate in the strategic planning process.
Desired skills, abilities and backgrounds:
- You bring knowledge, wisdom and culture from within our diverse community.
- You have experience or knowledge in any of the following areas: human resources, law, communications, finance, fundraising, community development, and governance. We are open to specific job roles.
- Experience on a not-for-profit board is an asset, but not a requirement.
- Knowledge of the film industry is an advantage, but not a requirement.
If you’re interested, please email your cover letter / resume to Brianna Girdler at info [at] reelcauses.org and and complete the application form available here.